RANGERS today accused Dundee of “negligence and unprofessionalism” after their cinch Premiership match at Dens Park as postponed for a second time and called on the SPFL to take action against their top flight rivals.

The Ibrox club had been due to play their game in hand on Tayside tonight – but a 3.30pm pitch inspection once again deemed the surface unplayable and it was called off.

The decision has angered the Govan giants – who would have moved two points clear of Celtic at the top of the table if they had won their game in hand - and they have contacted the governing body to outline their displeasure and demand that Dundee are disciplined accordingly.

READ MOREWeather forecast for Dundee vs Rangers third Dens Park attempt

A Rangers statement read: “Rangers has written to the SPFL outlining its position following today’s further postponement of the Dundee Scottish Premiership fixture.

“The negligence and unprofessionalism demonstrated by Dundee Football Club, where they have repeatedly breached SPFL rules, continues to have a damaging effect on the top professional league in the country.

“In a week where record TV viewing figures were recorded for a match in the same competition, and this evening’s game due to be televised again by Sky Sports, this episode is deeply embarrassing and has also been eminently avoidable.

Rangers Review: “Rangers expects the SPFL to take proportionate and decisive action in accordance with its rules, and the club will continue to make representations to them in the strongest possible manner.

“The club has been repeatedly putting forward solutions to the SPFL, which have not been taken up. It has again proposed a solution to the preparation and execution of this rescheduled fixture and is awaiting a response from the SPFL.

“As things stand, the rescheduled match will be on Wednesday, April 17 at 8pm. The club considers that this matter has been handled incorrectly throughout by both Dundee and the SPFL.

READ MORERangers visit to Dundee is OFF after pitch fails inspection

“At this time, we sympathise fully once again with our supporters, approximately 4000 of whom were looking forward to attending tonight’s game.

“Having already been left hugely inconvenienced and out of pocket by the first postponement last month, it is entirely unacceptable and disrespectful on the part of Dundee FC to have allowed this situation to have developed again."