The Rangers Review was contacted by supporter Derek Stevenson who gave us his detailed account of the shocking treatment of supporters at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium.

Derek, a 44-year-old system manager, was attending the game with his elderly father in what should have been a trip of a lifetime.

Here, we publish his shocking testimony in full to showcase the awful experience suffered at what was supposed to be a night of joy and celebration of sporting achievement, regardless of the result.

Our reporter Derek Clark has been contacting fans for the last 24 hours to get their version of events and it's clear something went very badly wrong with UEFA's organisation for the event.

As dramatic as this account is, it's just the tip of the iceberg, with many other shocking stories beginning to emerge. 

I attended the game with my father, who is 70 years old and is able but walks slowly with a stick.  I got our tickets through the UEFA ballot, paying 300 Euros for them and we were seated in Category 1 seats in the F32 section. 

We were on a charter day trip and my timeline of events is:


Arrived in the city of Seville via taxi.  As my dad isn't great at walking distances I avoided the old town and fan zones and we based ourselves in the Nervion district close to the Estadio Pizjuan. Locals and Frankfurt fans were great.  We had some lunch, beers and soft drinks. The remainder of our afternoon was spent sitting in the shade in a Nervion Park then we looked for something to eat later.


Alarm bells started to ring a little when realising nearly all restaurants in the area close to the Stadium were sticking to their normal hours. Kitchens closed at 4pm and would not reopen until 8.30pm. There wasn't much in the way of eating so we continued up towards the Stadium. I realised that no extra provision was in place despite this event being on their doorstep.


We were directed up a street by the Policia Nacional away from the Frankfurt fans, we ended up on the main stand side of the stadium at the shopping mall. We opted for a budget friendly fast food dinner, sat and had some soft drinks and one beer before deciding it was best to get into the ground.


Walked out the shopping mall area and asked a UEFA helper if we could use the main stand entrance to get our e-ticket activated to QR code. We recognised this wasn't the correct area, we should have been at Entrance A. We were allowed to the activation area but got turned away. The UEFA official then noticed my dad's stick and allowed us back. We were stopped and told that team buses and UEFA delegates were arriving and we would have to wait for approximately 30 minutes in the sun, which was still somewhere between 32 and 24 degrees.


It was too hot to wait and we decided to make our way back down to the south area of the stadium. Immediately we noticed the policing had become more aggressive. We were told to get back to the Rangers sections despite us telling police and UEFA helpers we needed to get to Entrance A. We got sent back and forward but were then allowed through the armoured vehicles blocking the road onto the main road on the south side of the stand towards Entrance B and then hopefully Entrance A.


We were stopped on the now pedestrianised main road towards Entrance B. We were in amongst thousands of Frankfurt fans who were very friendly and my basic German was well received. It was a joy to be in with them.  Despite there being no traffic allowed on the very wide road the Policia Nacional insisted on using horses to push us up onto the much narrower pavements. The Police then decided to shut off the access to Entrance B. I tried to simply cross the road and was met with a police horse and a baton at the ready.


We were refused access across the road by Police to make our way to Entrance A.  We were told to activate our ticket at Entrance B along with the Frankfurt fans. Again their fans were great company. The activation point was about 15-20 deep with Germans. The Frankfurt fan I spoke to most then whistled and shouted; their fans parted and allowed my dad through with his stick. We got our e-tickets activated then moved towards our area, to be met with more batons wielders who pointed out we needed to go to the search area.  One Rangers fan in front of me had his sun protection binned, his litre bottle of water poured out, his mobile battery pack binned and also his AirPods binned. I had my water removed and poured out, luckily I managed to keep my sun protection and battery pack.  The searching was aggressive and they binned UEFA approved items, also the water removal was awful as we weren't even in the grounds of the actual stadium. The police were rough in their handling of me and I also spoke to a female Rangers fan who said her search was performed by a male Policia Nacional officer who was rough with her.


Got into the stadium, we knew the Pizjuan had a lift. Police were no help inside to give directions to the lift but the UEFA steward was very helpful. We got to the upper tier to find one giant queue of Rangers fans. We found out that only one kiosk was opened and the other five would open soon. We made our way from V219 lift area to V215. We had no water so I got my dad seated in shade on the V215 concourse stairs and went to check out our seats. I then made my way back and joined the kiosk queue to get some water or drinks.


Word came from all kiosks that no water was remaining and only limited soft drinks. Fans were starting to struggle with heat and dehydration. I gave a fan my sun protection in exchange for a small drink of his water.

READ MORE: Inside Europa League Final stadium nightmare as Rangers fan testimony exposes jaw-dropping UEFA failures


Still queuing for drinks, thankfully another Rangers fan gave me a Coke and a Fanta and went back to get my dad who was panicking I'd been away for so long.  The exterior of the stadium had been done up, the underside of the concourses and passageways had been redone but the stairs and rows inside the stadium were a disgrace.  The upper tier was a very steep incline with minimal space to pass fellow fans, the ground was not smooth, with the rows very dusty and crumbly in parts.  My seat was not fixed properly to its concrete support.


Tried to get water at half-time but had no joy.


Tried to get water at full-time but had no joy.


At half-time in extra time got down to kiosk at V215 stairwell. Dozens of fans were lying in concourses struggling, asleep or resting. Fresh deliveries of water had come in but quickly sold out. Original price was €3 for water, they were now charging €5-6 for a bottle.  When I got to the front of the queue there were no drinks remaining.  I explained I needed some water or soft drink to allow my dad to take medication.  They offered me a hotdog, to which I replied "Are you actually serious?".  The kiosk worker called over the Policia Nacional who told me to "go drink from the toilets".  I asked for a cup and went into the toilet.  The eight sinks inside had the water all turned off.  A larger drinking tap managed to supply enough drips to get a little bit into the cup for my dad to take his meds.  The toilets were then locked after I came out.

00:05 - End of match

Tried to meet two people from our flight to get a taxi back to Jerez Airport, a charter trip nightmare (different story).  We met with more Policia Nacional on horses being aggressive towards our fans.  We made our way north and towards the Santa Justa train station where we got out of Seville via taxi.  There was no water provision from the stadium on the walk out.  I'm thankful to the Rangers fan who gave me the Coke and Fanta just before kick off or I think I would have gone 5-6 hours with no fluids.


I'm a lifelong Rangers fan but for what we went through it was a relief to get out and at the moment the game feels irrelevant somewhat - obviously my main concern was my elderly dad but also for the numerous fans I saw struggling with fatigue and dehydration.  I

I am honest enough about the fan base not being perfect at times but I think our supporters were incredible at the stadium given the treatment, the inhuman conditions and also that the stadium was nothing short of a death trap.  We had to hold hands and pull people along the steep incline and terrible footing conditions of the row.  I've been in the Scottish grounds since the late 80s and never witnessed anything that bad.  It's incredible UEFA gave this Final to such a delipidated arena.

I have contacted UEFA, Policia Nacional and Sevilla FC so far.  I will be passing on my timeline to Rangers FC also.